<VV> Advice on a '65 Turbo?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jun 25 11:40:19 EDT 2011

My mountain story is when I first bought my 64 Spyder convertible in
1976. I was taking friends on a drive around Charlottesville and went up
the east side of Afton mountain on US 250. I was in 4th and nothing
seemed odd to me the driver. Pleanty of power. Just chatting away with
the top down in the fall of the year. Then the guy in the backseat asks
"Is that pinging I hear?". I look down and the temperature gage is
pegged past 600! So I downshifted to third. I couldn't hear the ping in
the driver's seat.

Yes, later the engine dropped many valve seats. It is why it is
currently parked awaiting a engine build with different heads.

Frank DuVal

Since then always keep eye on temps!