<VV> Advice on a '65 Turbo?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Jun 25 15:03:34 EDT 2011

At 11:40 AM 6/25/2011, Frank DuVal wrote:
>My mountain story is when I first bought my 64 Spyder convertible in
>1976. I was taking friends on a drive around Charlottesville and went up
>the east side of Afton mountain on US 250.

Oh yes...  the Afton Mountain grade will do it just as well as
Christiansburg's hillclimb.

>I was in 4th and nothing
>seemed odd to me the driver. Pleanty of power. Just chatting away with
>the top down in the fall of the year. Then the guy in the backseat asks
>"Is that pinging I hear?". I look down and the temperature gage is
>pegged past 600! So I downshifted to third. I couldn't hear the ping in
>the driver's seat.
>
>Yes, later the engine dropped many valve seats. It is why it is
>currently parked awaiting a engine build with different heads.

95 heads with deep seats?   :)

Now...   Ladies and gentlemen:

People are always talking about how 140 heads "work well" on a late
turbo engine.   We keep hearing about how the wheelers and dealers
run modified 140 heads on turbo engines making a bunch of
power.   Let's get real here.

You can, with minor mods (ignition, camshaft, exhaust, mild whittling
on ports) to a late turbo engine, use 95hp heads and get a
dyno-proven 230hp out of an RL engine.   There was an ancient hotrod
magazine engine buildup that did this and they dyno'ed the
result.   They still had an engine that would idle fairly decent at
800 rpm and was docile enough to drive grandma to church.

230 hp is more than enough to yank a Corvair around with a
vengeance.   If this is going to be a street-driven Corvair, you do
NOT NEED 140 heads on it, with all their associated compression
problems and rickety valve seats that simply do not much like being
subjected to boost since there's less actual meat around the seats to
keep them anchored.  Even with deep seats, there's still the
compression issue which means you have to either cut pistons or cut
the heads... and that usually means you end up opening up the squish
area which plays havoc with flame travel, which is where the 95 heads
work out nicely because they have a squish area (kinda a bit less
than what would be best, but it's there) and they're already the
right compression.

And with 95 heads you don't need to deal with that MORONIC 24 degrees
initial advance along with the flaky compensation advance curve
necessary to make those open chamber heads work... and they don't
work very well under the best of circumstances and in fact are pretty
sorry excuses for a cylinder head for ANY Corvair engine, much less
one with forced induction.   I'm frankly surprised GM ever used them
in the first place.   With 95 heads you won't need to run anywhere
near that much initial advance because flame travel with the 95 hp
head's confined chambers will be better and your fuel mileage might
even perk up a bit.

If you're going racing and you need every last drop of chewy
goodness, then use the 140 hp heads with angled port exhausts, deep
seats, cut pistons, etc ad nauseam and after you spend a grand on
them before you put them on the engine you can go out and run pretty
strong if you have a source for avgas or race fuel... but if you
don't have access to exotic gas, and the car isn't going to be raced
and you don't need the last fraction of power you can extract, run
the 95 heads.   You likely will notice hardly difference at all on
the street.

...just my opinion.

tony..