<VV> LIFTER NOISE AND STARTING ISSUES my take

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Tue Jun 28 13:30:29 EDT 2011

i have added type A trans fluid , (or marvel mystery oil) to the oil  after
a fresh change to help with the lifter noise issue , and it seems to help.
so far , mine are holding up ok.
the starting issues usually seem to be choke related. there is a fine line
between to lean and too rich , if you want it perfect. ALSO , i have been
finding bad choke pull offs (even new ones!)..so check to see that both are
pulling in ok as soon as the motor is running , or use a hand vac pump to
check them.  makes a big difference!  I found that a couple turns  on the
choke to richen it up helps the hard start after setting syndrome. feel  the
effort needed to open the plates , they should be about the same, not too
stiff , but closed firmly cold.  if the springs don't feel the same, or  look
about the same level at the head opening cold, (unhooked) you have a  bad
one.
regards, Tim Colson.