<VV> individual air cleaner vent tubes

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jun 28 17:33:07 EDT 2011

In a message dated 6/28/2011 2:02:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
corvairgrymm at gmail.com writes:

I've  become aware of a little problem with my setup.  I have the  "vent
tubes" mod on my 140 carbs to prevent fuel starvation when cornering  hard.
I've discovered that if I take a sharp corner or an extended high  speed
curve the fuel will squirt out the vent tube and partially saturate  the
filter element... the result is a fairly strong (though short lived)  smell
of gasoline inside the car.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to  do some more bending of my vent tubes to
prevent this unless somebody has  some kind of super-clever fix.

How tall are your air cleaner elements? We always run tubes that stick a
ways up - 2" or so. If your car can generate enough sideways G-force to climb
a  2" tube, I'd like to buy your tires! If you have "headroom" above the
tubes,  stick hoses on the top. You can maximize the height by installing a
hose  from one tube to the other with a little slit cut out at the very top.
On a  stock class autocross car - original air cleaner housing required - I
angled the  tubes out of the tops of the carbs and stuck the hoses about 5
inches up the 140  filter housing "Spider" toward the air filter. It gained
about 2 inches in  vertical height and worked fine. They were also invisible.

-Seth  Emerson

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA