<VV> boost-retard availability

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 21:17:32 EST 2011

Mark,

You're lucky to have found an "advance-retard" unit.  I assume you  mean a
replacement for the original stock "pressure retard" unit that had NO
vacuum advance but only pressure retard and connected into the side of the stock
distributor.  I also assume that your newly acquired "advance-retard" unit
has both vacuum advance and pressure retard.  Clarks, until recently, had
those available, but now they are apparently out.  If mechanical means are
no longer available, then it's necessary to go to electronic  control.  On
the 180 I've used a stock Corvair  95 hp or 110  hp vacuum advance unit to
provide the vacuum advance with an electronic unit for  the boost/pressure
retard.  The electronic retard I used was a  Carter Engine Knock Eliminator
that used to be available from Clarks and had a  pickup that screwed into the
top of the 1965 180 engine shroud and "heard"  knocking so it could
electronically retard the spark to all the cylinders  until the knock disappeared.
But I don't see these listed in the current  Clarks catalog.
Ray Sedman, at _www.American-Pi.com_ (http://www.American-Pi.com)
currently offers  SafeGuard, a more sophisticated electronic retard unit that
retards EACH  cylinder individually as necessary and also offers an optional
display for  the dash that indicates just how much retard is being given at any
moment.  This can be especially useful if you're integrating "enhacements"
like water injection into your engine operation.
As indicated in my chapter on Turbocharging in the Corvair Basics Manual,
adding vacuum advance to a turbo Corvair enhances operation in at least 2
areas.  First, it improves off-idle and part  throttle response   Second, it
significantly improves gas mileage  for cars driven in non-boost operation
like driving in traffic.   Based on my experience driving my 180 to work
every day, you should easily see  20+% improvement in gas mileage.  After all,
EVERY Corvair EXCEPT  turbo models had vacuum advance.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Frank "if it don't go, BLOW it" Burkhard

In a message dated 3/1/2011 6:29:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,