<VV> Rack and pinion on Corvair front suspension

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 20:10:01 EST 2011

I am building a T-bucket rat rod for kicks and I am using a Corvair front
suspension, since I have one, and it will save me $1,000 over a dropped tube
or beam axle.  Without even thinking about it I ordered a chrome plated
Mustang Two steering rack from Speedway as it looks much better than an ugly
Corvair box hanging out in front of the car.  The Corvair steering relay rod
is 18" between inner tie rod ends.  The Mustang is 24.25" (way off)  Corvair
steering travel needs 7" with quick steering arms.  The Mustang is only
5.25"  I could still install it but will probably have bad bump steer and a
100' turning circle.  So, it looks like I will be selling the Mustang rack
and hanging the ugly Corvair box out front.
Clark Hartzel (build it first, then check the engineering!)