<VV> Rack and pinion steering on Corvair

Ken Klingaman stingerken at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 7 08:43:30 EST 2011

Ackermann was developed for horse drawn carriges, so they did not 'scar' the gravel on rich people's drives. For our purposes there is no one right geometry. If you vary the static for a purpose, to 'improve' cornering, you have also changed the Ackermann. The possibly best explaintion is in Paul Haney's book "The Racing and High Perfprmance Tire".pages 239 to 241. See also "Suspension" by Allan Staniford , pages 15 and 112. Ideally the lines drawn normal to the four slip andles should meet near the center of the turn, Good Luck achieving that! The amount of Ackermann needed varies with the radius of the curves one is driving, an AX car requires more than a track car. If you can achieve the same angle between steering arm and the tie rod, you should have the same amount of Ackermann.
StingerKen