<VV> Fwd: Rack and pinion steering on Corvair

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 09:35:52 EST 2011

Actually, you can get favorable geometry either way, the control is how
far offset from center when straight ahead, are the inner tie rod ends.
If you had front steer, with the rack or relay rod well back from
center, when you went from lock to lock, you'll increase toe out.

Your point about rack length cannot be stressed loudly enough. Getting
the inner tie rod end center to center distance is utterly crucial. Not
sure if there's a rack out there that can be shortened enough. However,
some GM J cars as well as some Audis had the steering arms up under the
spring seats on the front struts. The rack unit was on the firewall,
and the inner tie rod ends came off near the center of the rack. If one
were to replace the inner tie rod ends on one of those units with a
long bar bolted to those inboard tie rod mounts with the Corvair tie
rods attached at the ends at the stock spacing, you'd have it. Also,
rear vs. front steer can usually be accommodated by inverting the rack
and putting the pinion in the other way. You'll need to bore a new hole
and mount a new seal, but this has been done before.

Just some food for thought. Personally, the stock setup works rather
well, the only caveat is that *&?^ %$#@ rubber bushing attaching the
relay rod to the Pitman arm. That needs to be a precision needle
bearing sealed setup, IMHO. The rest is plenty stiff enough.

John Roberts