<VV> Fwd: Rack and pinion steering on Corvair

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Mar 7 09:24:08 EST 2011

Not to worry!  Rear steer generally favors proper Ackerman action.  You will probably not be able to get information on tire slip angles and dynamic chassis loading to ever know what is really the proper angle for turning nor will you be able to tell when driving.  But, rear steer also changes the force on the tie rod assemblies from tension to compression on the outside [loaded] wheel.  Sand dunning or autocrossing might warrant larger diameter tie rod ends and sleeves and perhaps reinforcement of the steering arms.

Rack length is of extreme importance to control 'bump' steer.  If one 'must' have R&P and cannot find the needed length it is possible to arrange for the R&P to drive the original steering center bar.  [Minus the pitman and idler arm.]
Ken P