<VV> Cam experience poll

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 22:29:54 EST 2011

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 14:09:09 -0500
> From: "Ray Rodriguez III" <vairguy at echoes.net>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Cam experience poll
> To: <Mikeamauro at aol.com>, <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> my 2cents.
>
> No 260 Clarks here so I don't know if this will help but I have an ISKY 280
> cam and there is no valvetrain noise. The ones I have heard (noise)
> complaints about have all been Otto cams. I don't recall what lifters I'm
> running.
>
> Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
> Lake Ariel, PA
> 66' Corsa 140 coupe
> 63' Monza PG (winter driver)
> 65' Corsa 140 coupe (under construction)

Ray- you are causing me to think that my noisy engine is caused by the cam! I have a OTTO tb-10
cam, (with the recommended valve springs, Ti valve spring retainers, heavy duty pushrods) and it
has been noisier than I'm used to hearing ever since I got it going (with this cam) in 2008. Originally,
I had the Source lifters in, but noticed that the engine was noisy, tried sealed power lifters (no real
difference in noise level), scored a set of NOS corvair lifters, put those in (slightly quieter, not enough to matter),
replaced all rocker arms and balls with the new clarks repro rocker arms, and again no difference in noise.
I gotta put a plug in for the new rocker arms- these really are very, very nice, very accurate repro of the
stock rocker arms, fit wise, but are a bit beefier, as the wall thickness on the new rockers has been increased
somewhat. I also replaced the rocker arm studs with new heavy duty ones, as some of the stock ones that
were in previously had an unacceptable amount of run-out. The rocker arm studs didnt help the noise level,
nor did any of the various valve adjustments that I did, nor the 2 different pushrod lengths that I tried (+.06
and std.). The standard length ones are in now, and are the correct ones, as the wear pattern on the rocker
arm and the valve tip is dead center on both. My oil pressure is 25-30psi when warm at idle, and is 50 psi when
cold. I've experimented alot with various oil viscosities, going as high as 20w-50 (DONT DO IT!!!! very noisey) and down
to 0w-40, which seems to work the best.
Kevin Nash