<VV> Noisy OT Cams (was cam poll)

Ray Rodriguez III vairguy at echoes.net
Thu Mar 10 16:25:10 EST 2011

Kevin,

     I'm dealing strictly in second hand information but I'd almost
guarantee that the Otto TB cam is the cause.  The reason I say this with a
fair amount of confidence is that on the two or three occassions I've
personally had a conversation with someone complaining about a noisy Otto
cam it has always been an Otto TB cam that was the subject of their
complaints.

     I'm not saying there is no such thing as a quiet Otto TB cam, just that
they have definitely been a problem for some folks.  The last gent I
remember clearly, I met him at the DACC homecoming last year (may have been
canadian).  He had a beautiful (yellow I think) turbo late model coupe with
stripes if I recall that he spared no expense on.  The car was not present
at the show but he said every time he pulled into a cruise night everyone
would comment on the valvetrain noise and cite it as confirmation that
"Corvairs are junk" (That's just how he said it to me), and that it really
upset him given the time and money he had invested.  I believe Bryan was
also involved in the conversation but I could be mistaken.  Can't recall
which grind but I'm near 100% certain it was an Otto TB series.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
66' Corsa 140 coupe
63' Monza PG (winter driver)
65' Corsa 140 coupe  (under construction)