<VV> Diesel Oil in Corvair

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 10 16:30:33 EST 2011

Hi Mark - and thank you.

I guess I was not clear enough on the original question since it looks as if
only Bryan understood what I was asking.  I've been using synthetic oil
(after about 1500 miles on rebuilds) - Mobil 1 to be specific - in all
vehicles for 20+ years now.

What I was trying to get at was the ZDP levels in various Mobil 1 products.
The 15w50 is 1200ppmPhosphorus and 1300ppm Zinc and is recommended for flat
tappet applications.  The "Turbo Diesel Truck" version is 1100ppm
Phosphorous and 1200ppm Zinc.  This is the one I have been using but have
recently found it hard to find.

This caused me to re-think about whether or not I should even be using an
oil indicated for diesel engines at all.  The viscosity level of the
"diesel" version is closer to the 10w30 I would like to be using than the
15w50, so that is another consideration.

So, my question is...  are there harmful effects to a gas engine when using
"diesel" oil?

Later, JR