<VV> Dual MC conversion failures- brake experts?

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Mar 11 12:51:34 EST 2011

On 3/11/2011 12:02 PM, Bob Gilbert wrote:

> I'm just about to do the dual brake conversion on my UltraVan - not a
> vehicle I want to experience with no brakes!
>
> Is there a final "word" on this topic? In the case of the UltraVan, this
> isn't a trivial job so I just want to make sure I will really have the peace
> of mind that I thought I would be getting with the conversion.

Bob, if you want peace of mind, overhaul the standard single master
cylinder brake system in the whale from stem to stern, returning it to
as-new condition throughout.  Then maintain it -- changing the fluid
every two years, checking the system for leaks/rust/moisture annually,
ad so on.

A perfect single master cylinder brake system worked fine when new and
will work fine today if fully restored.

Too often, I see people fooling themselves by slapping dual master
cylinders into vehicles that otherwise have old crappy brake systems.
If you have any doubts about the efficacy of the conversion -- and you
should -- then don't bother with the conversion and do EVERYTHING that
the stock system needs.

--Bob Marlow