<VV> Drivetrain Compatability

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Mar 12 15:22:12 EST 2011

Tom - The bellhousing has to match the engine for the seal around the crank
 to work correctly. So, for the 102 use the early. When you swap to the
140, use  the late. The 64 diff will bolt to the 63 tranny, you should use the
input  shaft from the 63. But Clarkzel's suggestion to switch, at some point
to the 64  transmission is a good one. It is strong and has slightly better
ratios for the  140. You can use the early clutch and flywheel as a set,
the disk and the input  shaft  are compatible with either the early pair or
the late pair. You  might have to juggle or swap the throw-out arm pivot ball
to get the correct  travel on the throw-out bearing. I will leave that to
the early experts to  clarify/recommend. If you will be driving it both at the
track and on the  street, do a few calculations and then use tire sizes to
compensate. Use  taller tires for the street and shorter tires for the
track. That alters your  overall ratio. Only then would I recommend a 3.89 -
(Hard to find 64 diffs with  a 3.89, or are you building it?) Most are 3.55s.

PS, Tom, seals are in the mail!

- Seth Emerson

Oh wise  ones. I seek your knowledge. I’m about to install a ’64 rear
suspension and  ’64 differential into my ’63 daily-driver/track car. The
current drivetrain  is the original 102 engine and 4-speed transmission. I’m
also going to be  building a 140 late engine that I want to install in place
of the 102. Here  are my questions:

1. Do I use an early or late  bellhousing?
2. Will the ’64 diff. and ’63 tranny bolt right  up?
3. Will I be able to use the early clutch assembly and  input shaft?
4. Is a 3.89 rear end ratio too steep for a car  that sees many miles at
highway speeds?

Thanks so much  in advance for helping.
--
Tom in  Baltimore