<VV> Flat Tappet Oils

John & Sandy corvair at zoominternet.net
Sun Mar 13 23:46:52 EDT 2011

I have been reading the repeated discussions concerning which oils work for our flat tappet engines.  Besides owning 2 Corvairs, I also own a Corvette.  While "surfing" some Corvette websites, I came across this discussion of flat tappet oils.  It is quite an extensive list, and makes no recommendations.  I use Amsoil AMO 10-40 in my Corvairs and have done so for 3 years.  The results are very good.  The oil holds up to the heat and the engines run quiet.  I have a 110 PG and a 140 4 speed.  I only drive 3k or less miles a year, so I change the oil each spring, the oil coming out of my Corvairs is almost as clear as the oil I put in.  These oils are NOT cheap!!!  You will pay $7.00-$8.00 per quart for the Amsoil AMO and as probably as much for any of the high zinc oils listed.  The fact is that our cars need over 1000 ppm of the zinc additive.  It makes sense to me to buy an oil that already has it and is recommended for flat tappet engines.  The guy who wrote this article has done his homework.  He does not recommend any of the oils, that decision he leaves up to you.  You can pay now or you will pay later.
John Johnson

Central PA Corvair Club
Keystone Corvair Club
Cornerstone Corvette Club of Carroll County
1964 Monza Conv 110 PG (Amsoil AMO)
1965 Corsa Conv 140 4 speed (Amsoil AMO)
2001 Corvette (use Mobile 1 as per engine recommendation)

Shortcut to: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/2484100-list-of-flat-tappet-oils.html

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.