<VV> Oops - need advice

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 17:42:48 EDT 2011

Joe,

It is almost certain that you only broke off the ceramic part  of the.  I
find it hard to imagine the hex head breaking away or  rounding off before
the threads pull out of the head.  The aluminum is  usually the weakest link.
Did you actually break off the top including the  hex head?  Assuming the
hex head is still there, you should try to  remove the remainder with a six
point socket with a 1/2 Inch drive.  This  should give you better leverage.
If the engine runs, you should first try  to get it warm.  Obviously, the
engine will run rough with only five plugs  sparking.  The aluminum head will
expand a little more than the steel spark  plug when hot and may make it
easier to remove the plug.  Unfortunately,  you may end up stripping the
aluminum threads from the head no matter  what.

If the other plugs are still out of the heads, check the end  for signs of
carbon in the threads.  A common mistake is to use spark plugs  with
extended threads that will remain exposed inside the combustion chamber and  allow
carbon buildup there.  When you remove the sparkplug, the carbon will
interfere with the threads in the heads and could cause damage and difficulty
removing the plugs.  Use only plugs with the proper thread  length.

If the plug's hex head is gone, you will need to remove the  head.  A good
machine shop could remove the remainder of the spark plug but  you need to
make a decision based on cost of a new head vs. the cost of the  machine shop
including the probability of installing a helicoil (or other  brand) plug
insert.  If you use an incompetent machine  shop, you will probably end up
paying for their service plus a new head because  you will not be able to use
an insert.  If you buy a new head, make sure  you get the right part number.
 If memory serves me, the 1965 heads used  smaller diameter bolts for
attaching the sheet metal.  You can use a head  with the larger bolt holes but
you may need to punch or drill out the holes  in the sheet metal for the
larger bolts.  Also, visible bolts in the engine  compartment will have different
sizes for the two sides.  This is not  a big deal for some but a big deal
for others.

Lastly, a little general advice on how to tighten and loosen  spark plugs
as well as bolts, nuts, etc. for this and future work.   When you push or
pull on the end of a ratchet, you are creating the  intended rotational force
(primary torque) as well as unintended side  load and secondary torque.  The
primary torque is around the threaded axis  but the secondary torque will be
to the side (right angle) of the threaded  axis.  You have two lever arms
and are creating two torques.  One  is due to the length of the ratchet
handle from the bolt axis and the other is  the total length of the socket and
extensions from the threads to the ratchet  arm head.  The primary torque is
desirable but not the other forces.   In effect, you are both turning the
spark plug as well as both pushing  and bending it to one side.  If you use a
deep socket and especially  if you use an extension rod, side torque is
multiplied.  You should always  try to compensate for this.  When you push or
pull the end of the ratchet  or breaker bar, always use an equal and opposite
side force at the axis of  the socket/extension/bolt/spark plug where it
meets the ratchet.  The side  torque can easily break off the ceramic portion of
a spark plug, will increase  the torque required to loosen a bolt and could
easily give you an inaccurate  torque when trying to use a torque wrench.
Keep in mind that failing to  compensate for the side torque also creates
more stress on the socket as  well.  You are more likely to crack or deform a
socket with both axial  torque and side torque applied.  You are also more
likely to strip the  hex of a bolt/nut head.

Good luck,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 3/14/2011 1:12:21 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,