<VV> Fully broken in and ready for synthetic oil/engine wear points

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 17:52:24 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/17/2011 4:36:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

Yes.  As I understand it the additive is needed in all oils,  it protects
parts under extreme pressure which is a function of engine design,  not oil
type.  The amount of ZDDP is listed on some oil makers'  websites.

To take Bryan's point further I have read that the higher amounts  of ZDDP
necessary for older engines (like ours) is to protect the wear  surfaces of
our flat tappets (lifters) at the cam.  Almost all vehicles  since 1994 have
roller tappets which do not need the higher ZDDP levels.   ZDDP
contaminates catalytic converters over time and manufacturers have to  certify that
their converters will last much longer now--150K miles now if  memory serves.
But are there any other wear points beside the cam  lobe/flat tappet point
in our engines (or engines of the period) that  also require the higher ZDDP
because of high loading?  The rocker  arms, push rods and pivot balls
perhaps?

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics