<VV> Fully broken in and ready for synthetic oil II

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 19:29:27 EDT 2011

Hi Stephen,

Yes, it is imparative you use a good synthetic oil with the proper amounts of zddp in it if you want your Corvair to last forever. I drive mine every day and most definitely want them to last forever.  The only thing synthetic oil can't help is dropped valve seats. But it does help your motor run cooler, so it helps there too. There is more then one way to skin a cat.  Castrol Syntec  is indeed a synthetic, but there are better choices.  For instance, Amsoils' Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine 15w40 oil offers a 25,000 mile drain interval. And yes, you can use this diesel oil in any mechanically sound engine. ANY. It has a ZDDP level of 1200 zinc and 1300 phosphorus. And I'd bet is compareable to Castrol Syntec in price.  What is their drain interval?  People say a 15w40 oil is too thick. Rubbish. This stuff doesn't get thick when cold, or get thin when hot.  I love it for the "heavy duty " aspect. It also doen't break down under heat, either.  It also reduces friction, so if you try it you'll see a reduction in oil temps, too.

   As for the filter, Amsoil also offers a 25,000 mile filter. Can Mobil 1 top that?  It's also compareable to Mobil 1 in price.   Unfortunately you have to use a "Clarks'" spin on adapter. But then you can use the biggest Amsoil filter that will fit.  There newest filters have a 98.70% efficiency @15  microns.  I also installed an Amsoil by-pass filter on each of my Corvairs.  This set-up filters down to less than 1 micron in particle size. When the oil comes out of the bypass filter it is analytically clean.  Using this set-up all you have to do is send a sample of your oil to Amsoil to be analyized at 25,000 miles and if it passes, you don't have to change the oil.  A trucker, using this set-up went 409,000 miles without an oil change!!! The U.S. Air Force also uses oil analysis for their Jets.

      Anyway, I've been using this stuff for 30 years and haven't lost a valve seat yet!  Sure is nice to not have to worry about oil changes anymore.  Try it,  you'll like it.

sincerely,

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'63 ragtop 84//pg (and by-pass filter)

'65 monza 4dr 110/pg (and by-pass filter)