<VV> Subject: Fully broken in and ready for synthetic oil (correction)

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 22:22:16 EDT 2011

I'm getting ready to change the oil for the second time since the
rebuild.

Uh, make that the THIRD time (at 500, 3500 [after putting 3000 miles
on it], and now, at 6500 [after putting 3000 more miles on it] )

Sorry for any confusion.

I'm leaning towards continuing to use the Brad Penn "green" oil
because I can get the high ZDP in a 10w-30 as opposed to a 15w50 (1200
phosphorus /1300 zinc) or a 5w-40 (1100 / 1200) designed for turbo
diesel trucks in the Mobil synthetic.  I do like the fact that
synthetics lower the engine operating temps and so that might factor
into my consideration also.  Finally, price will factor also if I can
get assurance that the weight issue and lower phos/zinc values are not
a major factor for the temperatures that we normally see in Dallas, TX.

Brad Penn Product           Blackstone (oil analysis outfit)
Southwest Research  (ditto)

Penn Grade 1                               zinc 1,424
ppm                     zinc 1,565 ppm
10W-30 #7150                             phos 1,139
ppm                   phos 1,332 ppm

Stephen
P.S. if the phos / zinc tables don't come out right, I'll resend.