<VV> Fully broken in and ready for synthetic oil

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 22:22:57 EDT 2011

>Do I understand correctly that synthetics also need to have [appropriate] ZDDP levels to be effective in [flat tappet engines]?

A repeat of a year old post for our friends who haven't been paying
attention --  check out the links and READ!

Periodically, some Corvair or Porsche guy asks, and here is the latest
version of my reply -- some websites may be outdated or no longer active.
Brand and /or type is unimportant -- service classification is.

Oil was big stuff a couple years ago when nobody knew much about what
was happening, but now, lots of people have done/are doing the research
and there are numerous web sites, each with their own opinion. Also most
of the manufacturers address the issue on the corporate web sites, but
can you trust them to tell the corporate secrets?

Perhaps the oldest one is here, frequently updated, by a guy that sells
Nickisil cylinder barrels  --

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

 From the 356 Porsche folks, who have engines a lot like the Corvair --

http://www.356registry.org/tech/modern_oil_in_the_356.html

Richard Widman is an oil importer in South America restoring and old
1960 Corvair -- laws down there prevent him from buying a nice one in
the states and importing it -- has to work with what is already there --

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

then there are these folks in addition to whatever shows up when you
Google for Oil Zinc --

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/index

http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/FlatTappetCamTechBulletin.pdf

http://bobistheoilguy.com/

And, once you get past the Amsoil faldaral, there is an interesting recent
thread on the Corvair Center Phorum and, one can always search the VV
archives -- nothing against the product, just the Amsoil marketing
program ...

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,221690,page=1

Was at a shop where they build very high end (read expensive) high
performance motors the other day, a place where they break-in their
engines on a dyno, and they indicate they have had very good results, so
far, with this Lubeatech stuff, especially the break-in oil:

LAT Racing Oils
2430 North Glassel #J
Orange CA 92865
http://www.latracingoils.com/

Apparently the oils, either dino or synthetic, you want to avoid for the
older "flat tappet" engine designs have an ILSAC GF-4 rating in the fine
print on the back of the can, and they say "ENERGY CONSERVING"
in the little SAE circle logo identifying the oil rating.

Godspeed!

Bill