<VV> Castrol Syntec / ZDDP / SL

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 22:58:18 EDT 2011

This is from the Castrol web site:

This is for Castrol Syntec 10w30

"PRODUCT DATA
Castrol SYNTEC – Proven Power Technology
Castrol SYNTEC offers superior performance for the higher power and
speeds in today’s engines. Castrol SYNTEC’s unique and proprietary
formula helps your vehicle maintain maximum horsepower by reducing
harmful deposit formation.
Features and Benefits:
Castrol SYNTEC delivers:
An advanced additive package that neutralizes corrosive particles,
preventing them from grouping together and forming power-robbing sludge.

Stability and endurance under extreme conditions (heat, load, speed)
that can cause conventional oils to break down.

Superior engine protection that outperforms leading conventional and
synthetic blend oils, passing severe industry torture tests.

Castrol SYNTEC exceeds the world’s toughest industry protection
standards.
Warranty and Protection Requirements:
Exceeds engine manufacturer’s warranty requirements for applications
requiring ILSAC GF-5, GF-4 and GF-3 and/or API SN, SM and SL"

____________

Although it is listed as an SM rated oil, there is no mention of the
ZDDP levels. :

I did find this on a web site:
"Thank you for contacting Castrol,

The information you are requesting is considered proprietary, however
the amount of ZDDP levels in the Castrol Syntec 20w-50 classic
formulation is a minimum of 1200 ppm.

Castrol Consumer Relations, David"

Two problems, it is from 2008, and it isn't the exact oil that I
purchased, so it is not very useful information.

So, the two half gallons that I bought will probably be used in one of
my other "newer" vehicles.

Stephen