<VV> Fully broken in and ready for synthetic oil (correction)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Mar 17 23:39:13 EDT 2011

At 22:22 3/17/2011 -0400, Stephen Upham wrote:
>I'm getting ready to change the oil for the second time since the
>rebuild.
>
>Uh, make that the THIRD time (at 500, 3500 [after putting 3000 miles
>on it], and now, at 6500 [after putting 3000 more miles on it] )
>
>Sorry for any confusion.
>
>I'm leaning towards continuing to use the Brad Penn "green" oil
>because I can get the high ZDP in a 10w-30 as opposed to a 15w50 (1200
>phosphorus /1300 zinc) or a 5w-40 (1100 / 1200) designed for turbo
>diesel trucks in the Mobil synthetic.  I do like the fact that
>synthetics lower the engine operating temps and so that might factor
>into my consideration also.  Finally, price will factor also if I can
>get assurance that the weight issue and lower phos/zinc values are not
>a major factor for the temperatures that we normally see in Dallas, TX.

FYI, Amsoil also makes two high ZDDP oils in the weight range originally
specified for the Corvair:

1) Type HDD 5W-30 Diesel oil - API CI-4+/CF/CF-2/SL
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx

2) Type ACD 10W-30/SAE 30 Diesel oil - API CI-4+/CF/CF-2/SL
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/acd.aspx

Both of these contain 1267ppm ZDDP. Note also that they are API SL rated
for use in gasoline engines. Please contact me off list if you would like
more information.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI