<VV> >Oil Issues

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 19 23:55:18 EDT 2011

Byron, when you take it apart, see how straight your mating surface is on the
head. I have had two that were warped to the point that a flat valve cover left
a gap over 1/16 inch at the middle of the span. I fixed mine by bending the
(sheet metal) valve cover to conform. You can't do that with aluminum covers,
but a thicker gasket would accommodate some gap.

Byron Comp <byron.comp at yahoo.com> asked:

<<I have a different oil issue. I'm just getting my rebuilt '65 110 ready to
run,

had electrical problems that I think I solved yesterday, but I've noticed that
since I began cranking it over and having it run for a few minutes, I've got a
significant oil leak out of the right side valve cover. I put the Clark's
aluminum finned covers on, using their gasket, too. I used no glue or sealer of
any kind and I've torqued the bolts down (all SIX of them) twice, but it
continues to leak. Any ideas? Should I replace the gasket and use some "sticky"
this time? Help!>>

 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on