<VV> EM rear wheel bearing grease fitting install?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Mar 20 00:03:55 EDT 2011

At 08:39 PM 3/19/2011, Ray Rodriguez III wrote:
>Greetings Vairfolk,
>
>      One of the remaining areas of concern on the 63' is the rear
> wheel bearings.  One of my books (HTKYCA I think) shows where to
> drill the hole and how big, but I don't yet have a shop manual for
> the EM so I don't know what I have to take apart and how to do
> it.  Can anyone either link me to instructions or write some up for
> me?  I really want to get these greased before something goes wrong
> since they sat for 25 years.

Don't do the zerk fitting on an early bearing.   They come apart too
easily to go to that sorta trouble.   Just remove the wheel, pop the
drum off, remove 4 9/16 nuts and slide the axle out.   Make sure that
side of the car is up so you don't drool gear lube out the
transaxle.   There are two rivets holding the halves of the bearing
housing together.   Cut them off and discard them, won't need to
rivet the halves back together again seeing as how the nuts on the
studs will do that.    Pry the bearing halves apart and flush out the
bearing thoroughly with a good species of carb cleaner or
brake-klene, your choice... stuff them with synthetic wheel bearing
grease, reassemble.

It's also not a bad idea to (if you can) rotate the outer races 180
degrees and place a fresh load bearing surface where the bearing
rollers can run against it.

Once you do the first one, the 2nd will be easier.   '60-'62 bearings
have stamped housings, '63-'64 bearings have a cast housing with a
stamped cover.   They come apart the same.

>On a related note, how noticeable is the "rumble" or whatever when a
>wheel bearing is beginning to fail?

They announce their pending demise.   They start by rumbling... then
advance to slicking and popping and sometimes screeching, by which
time it's wise to stop immediately before the axle comes out of the car.

When you have the bearing shells split, check the rollers closely for
pitting or flat spots.   If they look OK, grease up, reassemble, and
go on down the road.  If they show wear, or minor pitting, do it all
anyway and listen closely while you drive the car until you can turn
up replacements.

tony..