<VV> EM rear wheel bearing grease fitting install?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Mar 20 17:46:12 EDT 2011

At 08:55 AM 3/20/2011, Frank DuVal wrote:
>The cast bearings of 63, 64 do not have rivets, so these directions
>don't work.

Yes, I may have cornfuzed the issue.   The '63-on bearings have
stamped backs that are secured with tabs, not rivets like the '60-'62
bearings.   My bad.

>But of course the 63 car in question could have the 60 -62
>bearing in it from a previous repair. The interchange works this way,
>but don't try to put a 63,4 cast bearing into a 60-62 without changing
>the backing plate/spacer also.

...Or, spending a half-hour boring out the backing
plate/spacer.   It's not a lot of fun.   Did it because the car
needed to run that day and I didn't have another backing plate on
hand to swap out.

>On a cast bearing the best I could do was pry out the seal on the inside
>of the bearing and wash/pack grease by hand. No way to inspect, just pray.

It's a fair bet that if the "outside" bearings look OK, the ones
inside are probably OK as well, and if the bearing was running
without issue and the greasing is preventative maintenance, there's
no problem.   And Yes if you work it you can get the "outer" race off
far enough to let you get a peek inside.  You have to finagle the
cast part of the housing a bit, but it can be done in time... if you
really wanna get that serious.

Still, cleaning and flushing is the biggest thing.  Greasing
afterwards is a matter of working the grease back into the bearing
and those cute needles will do it.

Hey, it's better than running a dry bearing.   And even the NOS/new
off the shelf probably need packing anyway.   I'd certainly repack a
bearing that came off the shelf.

>Now our club has access to the bearing remover tool available from
>Clark's. It works great, and the bearing can be removed from the axle
>shaft with no damage.

What's more, you can remove a bearing and take it apart "proper" and
clean and lube it, then press it back on again.

Done that.   Bearing press was a borrowed item... been pondering
throwing caution and money to the winds and buying one myself.

>Now the cast bearing can be taken apart and
>inspected for defective rollers. You can mix and match parts from many
>bearings to "rebuild" a good one like tim mentions. Also the riveted
>type comes completely apart after removal for the same rebuilding treatment.

And, there's not a thing in the world wrong with those early-early
bearings and they fit anything except an FC.

>Maybe you can get local club members to go in and buy the tool? Of
>course late owners wouldn't pony up...   10 early owners put up $30 each
>for a tool to save hundreds if they save a bearing.

There are only a couple or three people in the local chapter with
earlies.   They're not likely to pop for the bearing press.   Hell,
it took an act of Congress to get the club to chip in to buy a
drivetrain cradle (which is sitting in my shed, never used it ever,
storing it) so the chances of the chapter coughing up for the press
is unlikely.

I might just end up someday biting that bullet and buying one... just
to be able to say I have one.   It IS pretty nifty.

tony..