<VV> EM rear wheel bearing grease ...

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 20 20:30:01 EDT 2011

>Ray, it is Clarks part # C319A. It is a rubber seal (same style seal as used for
>differential yokes, crankshaft seals, shift rod seal etc).
>
><<This felt seal you mention might be what I'm missing.?

There is only one seal on each front wheel hub -- the grease cap is on
one end of the assembly, covering the nut that holdsthe hub on, and the
seal is one the other end of the hub.  In the olden days, these seals
were sometimes felt (which you soaked in oil before installing them)
sandwiched in a steel shell, but the have largely been replaced by stuff
you could call "rubber" bonded to a steel piece.  I really don't see
anyone capable of repacking their front bearings  putting them back on
the car without this seal as it would obviously destroy your brakes in
short order -- I think you are worried over nothing.

The seals for the rear axle bearings are sorta different than the front
seals.  60-62 rear bearings are fairly easy to service.  The 63-64 rear
bearings have the cast iron shell and are much harder to access to clean
and inspect.  Tech Guide I has an excellent item on servicing these
earlier bearings, which I am not going to repeat here.  Some folks will
say you can't use modern solvents to clean bearings to reinstall them,
but they are full of hogwash -- yes, there is a smidgen of truth to
their tales, but they are based on pre-WW II lubricants and solvents,
where one did need to clean their bearings in kerosene instead of
gasoline. The cast bearing shells do require the use of a spacer that is
not used with the earlier stamped steel shells.

Adding grease zirks to either the front or rear is most likely going to
pave the way for further disasters and attendant repairs -- it is not
The Solution.  Easier, maybe, but ...

Bill Strickland