<VV> Removing old gasket from the 45 degree oil adaptor

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 21 00:52:29 EDT 2011

I have a leak in the 45 degree oil adaptor.  It is minor but
irritating on a new engine.  So, I decided to buy the gasket set and
replace them in order to take care of it since I'll be changing the
oil and filter anyway.  Well, when I took off the bottom part of the
adaptor that attaches to the oil filter everything went very well.  It
was when I took a mirror and looked at the seal on the attachment to
the generator bracket assembly that I began to think this was not
going to go well.  The gasket that fits on the top (the larger
diameter gasket) is very, very attached to the aluminum of the
housing.  I tried to use a small screw driver to see if I could get
under a part of it and lift it out.  No luck.  It seems to have become
one with the housing.  Working upside down and using a mirror isn't
helping anything, either.  Before I try anything else, like removing
the generator bracket assembly which will necessitate buying yet more
gaskets, does anyone have a neat trick for removing the gasket material?

Stephen U