<VV> Corvair content, Really! (brakes)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Mar 23 12:48:51 EDT 2011

You have to bear in mind there are a number of people in the Corvair community (and on this list) who have access to GM engineering drawings and many years - in some cases since the cars were new - of experience.  The answer "it's only a switch" came from one of those sources (larry claypool, I believe).  GM parts books list it as a switch as well, not a valve.  Thinking about how one works, it shouldn't be that tough to do a non-destructive test if you really want - the whole point of a shuttle valve is to cut off flow, so you should be able to test for that.

This makes twice (in about 20 years) that I've had a failure on two different dual m/c converted cars and both systems worked as advertised.  In both cases the pedal assembly was original to the car, one was a '65 and the other a '66.  The '65 is with the stock '69 m/c and switch, the '66 without.  I suspect there's a step that's more important to the installation than we think, I'll have to look and see what's in the Tech Guide on the subject.

--Bryan