<VV> Fwd: Corvair content, Really! (brakes)

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Mar 23 17:47:04 EDT 2011

It is time to remember the original reason for putting a dual M/C on an EARLY has nothing to do with brake failure ... it is because of rear wheel bearing failure.  And these bearings do fail.  Usually they start to grind, crunch, and growl early enough to get the car stopped before the axle leaves the differential and before the drum goes beyond the shoes.  They have been known to fail completely and instantly during a turn.  And once in a while they give no warning whatsoever.

When this happens you have NO brakes, NO emergency / parking brake, and downshifting has NO effect.

I learned about this from a fellow at an early Chicago convention.  He had learned it the hard way on a long downhill road.  Upon returning home I immediately pulled a dual M/C complete assembly off a rusted out 67 Sport Sedan.  I re-plumbed the 63's system and ended up with a high, very hard pedal.  It took forever to get that slide valve centered ... then the pedal was normal.  Today, I have come to believe that was not the original system on the 67.  It would seem Corvair dual M/Cs did not have a slide valve.  Were I to do that job again, I would find a slide valve.
Ken P