<VV> Corvair content, Really! (brakes)

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 12:10:27 EDT 2011

>... the failure was a bad brand new wheel cylinder,
>

>... when my failure occurred the brakes were brand new...

All I have to say, AGAIN, is since when is New the same as Good?

The old Lakewood I bought a couple years ago was described as having
"new brakes" -- It had all new (& oversized) shoes and one new brake
line, from the mc to the front junction box.  Obviously not a total
brake job. One rear line was cracked and one rear drum was 120 over, the
other was 90 over.

Seems a brake job on a 50 year old car needs to include not just shoes,
hardware, wheel cylinders, and turned drums, but drums of the correct
size, hoses, lines, and master cylinder, coupled with all new fluid  ( I
do like DOT 5 in these old cars) -- including disassembly and inspection
of all assembled components, "new" or not, and proper adjustment of
brakes and then linkages.

Bill Strickland