<VV> Dual master cylinder

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Mar 24 11:15:58 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/24/2011 5:44:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

"No,  *you're* a poopyhead!" :-)
Then Bill wrote back:

So how  do you decide how much redundancy is "enough"?  If dual m/c is
safer than  single m/c, shouldn't we all want quad m/c because that would be
safer still?  But them what if that fails?  Maybe each wheel should have dual
lines and  wheel cylinders, "just in case".

Better yet, install giant  airbags and rubber bumpers on the front and rear
of all cars and have a backup  parachute "just in case". It couldn't hurt
to install rocket-powered ejection  seats either.

Better yet, just make it illegal to drive faster than 10  mph!

Bill Hubbell

Well, Bill - Now we know who the "Poopyhead" is.  <grin> Unlike most of
you, I guess, I actually had an accident where  a dual master cylinder would
have saved my car from hitting a fire hydrant. The  brake line on my 1955
Chevy ran down the right side frame rail. When the  pressure plate pieces hit it
(Don't ask!) it sliced through it and removed  all remaining braking.
(Prior to that point, the engine became permanently  disconnected from the rest
of the drive train.) A functioning emergency brake  might have stopped the
car, had there been one. It is hard to comprehend  how fast 25 MPH feels when
you have absolutely no way to slow down the car. My  choices were limited
to: 6 foot in diameter eucalyptus trees, the rear  bumper of a car stopped at
up-coming stop sign, the stop sign itself, with  a telephone pole about 6
inches to the right of it, and finally, the  space between the car and the
stop sign. I chose the space and traveled  across the intersection, missing the
stopped car, the crossing car and the stop  sign, and then stuck my right
front wheel into the said fire  hydrant. Was it my fault? Absolutely yes. But
a dual master  cylinder would have placed me on the side of the street,
with a couple of  holes in the floor, a small hole in the oil pan (nothing
leaving, just bouncing  parts) and a lot  of pain in my right foot, a much
smarter teenager. But without the  crash. Our Corvairs are at least 40 years old,
and internal corrosion,  neither visible from the outside nor "curable" via
brake fluid replacement,  could result in a system hydraulic failure. That
is why we do the hard-harder  brake test at every Corvair autocross. I have
(personally) blown out two brake  systems at a Corsa autocross tech
inspection. (not my cars) Both  drivers thanked me for it. (well, not initially!)
Better for it to  happen at the autocross inspection, than driving back to the
hotel when a  truck pulls out in front of you. As I recall, both drivers
fixed the failed part  and drove in the Autocross.

If you wish to have your car remain perfectly stock, so it can be shown in
the "Really, Really, Really Stock" classification, I fully understand. You
are  unlikely to have a major accident/failure pulling it off or back-onto
the  trailer.  Otherwise .  .  .  .  .

Seth Emerson

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA