<VV> Flat Towing a Corvair

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Mar 24 17:44:27 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/24/2011 2:10:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

It is  what
makes it possible to push start a PG equipped Vair, and as such, I  don't
get the idea that one would need to stop in order to start the  engine
periodically to circulate lubricants that are already being  circulated.
However, if that is what is needed to get you to take a  break at
suggested driving intervals, so be it! Won't hurt anything,  either way.
YMMV.

The problem with flat-towing a Corvair with a PG is not the pumping  and
lubrication, it is the cooling of the trans Fluid. The Stock car PG is  cooled
by air-flow through the bellhousing and around the torque Converter, as  it
spins in place. (FC's have an additional, external cooler in the
air-inlet). When towed, the fluid circulates as Bill mentions. But the cooling
effect of the spinning torque converter is lost, probably meaning less air-flow
over it and hotter temps. I have flat-towed a PG equipped Stinger Autocross
car.  Okay, I stayed "about" 50 MPH, and I had an external cooler installed
on the  car. But the fluid got pretty hot. (I did not have a transmission
temperature  gauge)  I suppose you could start the car and let it idle in
Neutral while  towing along. I'm not sure how that would work, but it wouldn't
be in gear, so  you are probably okay. It would be a little weird, though.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA