<VV> Flat Towing a Corvair

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 18:46:41 EDT 2011

> I have flat-towed a PG equipped Stinger Autocross car... the fluid got
> pretty hot.

I defer to Seth's experience, but he doesn't say that he towed his racer
on a 100F day, nor that he keeps his home AC to 63F -- so, a hundred
might feel hot?  The pan is probably close to pavement temp which could
be 140-ish, which I would call hot enough cook eggs, but not boil water.

The big heat maker, the shearing of fluid in the torque converter is
somewhat, I think, ingeneously cooled by the cooling fin fan that is
part of the converter.  Without the engine running, and thus no fluid
shearing, although the PG may get warm, I doubt it actually overheats.
Although, as I said, stopping every couple hours is fine by me -- I
generally drink too much caffiene when I drive.

What is this, a race car without a trans temp gauge?  Would be a nice
item to have some data points on ...

Bill Strickland