<VV> head pictures-was head problems

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:52:19 EDT 2011

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:13:11 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Byron Comp <byron.comp at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Head Pictures - was Head Problems
> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
>

> Here are some pictures of the head in question with the wallowed-out plug hole.
> I'm going this afternoon to a local (Gainesville) machine shop to get their
> ideas/estimate for repair, but I'm beginning to think more seriously about
> replacing it, if I can find a shop to accurately move all the associated valves,
> etc. from one head to the other. (Would that be the first successful "head
> transplant"?)
>
> Head # is 3856743 and the engine is a '65 95hp. Anyone out there have a good
> candidate for sale?
>
> Byron Comp
> Still "Headless" '64 Monza Vert
> Gainesville, FL

   Byron- The timesert method of thread repair works really well, and in my humble opinion,
   much more practical than replacing the head, and starting over. The heads on my early turbo
   were completely re-built 30,000 miles ago, and one of the things that was done was to install
   timeserts in all of the sparkplug holes (wether they were needed or not), to prevent having to
   do a repair after they were installed! I have had absolutely no problems with these timeserts,
   and now consider this type of repair to be a better, more durable thread than the stock aluminum
   threads.
   Kevin Nash, 63 turbo, daily driver