<VV> Flat Towing a Corvair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Mar 26 01:16:39 EDT 2011

At 01:12 PM 3/24/2011, Vairtec Corporation wrote:
>On 3/24/2011 1:54 PM, Ken Wildman wrote:
>
> > Bob;
> >
> > The real question is with a suitable tow vehicle, can you flat
> tow, or dolly tow pg or manual w/o damage?
> >
> > Ken
> >

>If that's the question, Ken, then the answer is "yes."
>
>Flat towing a manual-transmission Corvair poses no issues other than
>ensuring that the transmission stays in neutral.
>
>Flat towing a Powerglide-equipped Corvair poses no issues other than
>stopping every 100 miles or two hours to start the car and engage the
>transmission, to more fully circulate the trans fluid.

Uh wait...

The Powerglide has a rear pump that lubes everything whenever the
rear wheels turn.   You can flat-tow a PG and just go until you get
where you were going.

The manual gearbox's mainshaft turns when the rear wheels turn, but
the cluster gear and sync hubs do not (hopefully you ARE flat-towing
in *Neutral*).   You run the risk of cooking the bushings in the sync
hubs if the cluster gear doesn't spin and sling lube onto the mainshaft.

It's the gearbox car being flat-towed that should be stopped every
half-hour or so and idled a bit in neutral to spin the cluster gear
and slop some gear lube onto the mainshaft.

Or... do like I once did (to a 'Vair driveline in a kitcar chassis
with an inop engine) and overfill the transaxle with cheap motor oil
so as to actually have the oil level contact the mainshaft (via
having enough oil in the transaxle to contact the pinion shaft which
is directly inline with the gearbox mainshaft).   And no it did not
leak on the way, amazingly enough.   (it did slop a bit out the vent
on the diff)

>I would not recommend dolly-towing a Corvair.  Dollies were designed to
>accommodate front-wheel-drive vehicles.

Back the 'Vair onto the dolly.  Careful if it's a ragtop...  been
there done that twice, no disasters 'cuz I was careful and slow.

>Note:  I once flat-towed a Powerglide Corvair without noticing that the
>transmission was in REVERSE!  The result was exciting and included fire.

Yikes.   Don't do that.

tony..