<VV> Flat Towing a Corvair

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Thu Mar 24 14:12:57 EDT 2011

On 3/24/2011 1:54 PM, Ken Wildman wrote:

> Bob;
>
> The real question is with a suitable tow vehicle, can you flat tow, or dolly tow pg or manual w/o damage?
>
> Ken

If that's the question, Ken, then the answer is "yes."

Flat towing a manual-transmission Corvair poses no issues other than
ensuring that the transmission stays in neutral.

Flat towing a Powerglide-equipped Corvair poses no issues other than
stopping every 100 miles or two hours to start the car and engage the
transmission, to more fully circulate the trans fluid.

I would not recommend dolly-towing a Corvair.  Dollies were designed to
accommodate front-wheel-drive vehicles.

Note:  I once flat-towed a Powerglide Corvair without noticing that the
transmission was in REVERSE!  The result was exciting and included fire.

--Bob