<VV> SCAM (no corvair)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 23:50:06 EDT 2011

A couple years ago I was selling a laptop on ebay and had one of these
people try to scam me.  They sent a message that "appeared" to have come
from ebay with a link to paypal (the email said ebay.com in the from line).
The link to paypal worked fine and showed that I had received payment....
only it wasn't the real paypal site, it was a carbon copy at a different
address.

Once i figured out what was going on I kept reassuring the scammer that the
laptop was on the way =P  I dragged it out as long as I could and it was
pretty hilarious to see the guy get more and more anxious over the next few
weeks.

On a less happy note I purchased a set of collectibles on ebay from China
thinking that PayPal would protect me.  When the items arrived they didn't
look right and I investigated.  I confirmed the items I was sent were
knockoffs and contacted paypal.  PayPal told me that I had to send the item
back to the seller to get a refund, and the seller provided a return address
in Australia where shipping totaled more than the value of the items.
PayPal left me hanging.  Just for clarification the *real* items I was after
were manufactured and widely distributed in China, so buying them from China
wasn't a real warning sign.

 Originally posted by Doc: