<VV> Autoweek Wording

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Mar 30 12:36:26 EDT 2011

> I'd also be willing to bet that the Chevy engineers knew about the short
> comings of the EM rear suspension design before the book was written (go
> ahead and argue how a swing axel is really better than a fully independant
> suspension).
> Ned
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Smitty Says:  Ned I am surprised at that statement.  It almost seems as
though you want to stir some pot that has been already thoroughly stirred
over the years.  Nobody but a newbie that is infatuated with the easy
handling and comfortable ride of an Early would try to defend swing axles
against independant suspension.  The answer is yes, they did know but it was
accepted as adaquate in light of the many other cars using it.  Personal
responsibility for auto control had not been invented.  So what if SW got
people in trouble in extreme situations.  There were hundreds of thousands
of Corvairs commuting and going for groceries that never had a problem.
Read up on the Pinto fire problem if you think that corporate thinking
didn't exist.  Then too the Corvette IRS had not shown the way for the 65
Corvair IRS.  Do you really think the Vair would have had a multi link rear
suspension if the Vett hadn't done it first?  It was just a matter of
something that was due, available, and needed at that point in the car's
history.  Yes it is superior just as many other developments in cars are.
Things change.  You aren't going to find many people that claim Model As are
superior to Corvairs.  All you guys that think Swing Axle is better than
Multi Link (both of you) please post me and we can talk about it.  There is
no argument.