<VV> Swing Axle WAS Autoweek Wording

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Mar 31 08:40:47 EDT 2011

>> I'd also be willing to bet that the Chevy engineers knew about the short
>> comings of the EM rear suspension design before the book was written (go
>> ahead and argue how a swing axel is really better than a fully independant
>> suspension).
>> Ned

Finding someone to blame has become the watchword of modern society.  Isn't it a little difficult to point the finger of 'short comings' at either the swing axle suspension or Chevy engineering when the swing axle Corvair was proved to out perform virtually every one of its contemporaries ... including the '63 Corvette?  Yes, the LM can do better, but only by a 'cats whisker.'

Fact is, all vehicles get in trouble when they are pressed towards their limits by a driver that is beyond their OWN personal limits.  If there is a 'fault' with the EM Corvair design, it might be its ability to carry its driver farther beyond the drivers ability than its contemporaries.  So can the LM.
Ken P
Wyandotte, MI