<VV> '63 transaxle into a '64

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 30 18:15:26 EDT 2011

 > What did you do about the transverse spring?

Either you have to use it, or change all the coil springs, front and
rear -- so, either you use the 64 diff case, or not.

I have one of each, meaning a 61 conversion with the 64 engine and trans
mounts, control arms, diff case, etc  -- and my 1960 without the 64
stuff, except control arms, where I just have a greased aluminum spacer
with a hole in it between the bottom of the diff and the spring -- works
fine, and the spring ends hold it right where it is supposed to be --
many miles on this arrangement with no problems ever noted, it's just
not for serious racing.

Since you are starting with a 64, most of this stuff is already there,
just the mount to the differential, which is not absolutely required, mo.

More on this general topic in the November 2009 VV archives -
     http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/virtualvairs/

Bill Strickland