<VV> need help ignition switch removal

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Wed Mar 30 21:07:36 EDT 2011

Hello Ray,
LOTS of ideas around.   In the Tech Guide there are some excellent ideas
on theft safety.   Two of my favorites for LMs is the graft radio knob
onto the back of a standard ignition key.   If you do this, with some JB
Weld or epoxy, and insert the key that now appears like a dash knob like
the cigarette lighter, I can almost guarantee that only  someone who
knows about that mod will be able to start the car EVEN with a
functioning key in the ignition!   I did this for my 65 Monza
Convertible and asked someone to please start the car AND the ignition
key is in the dash.   I have not had a person successfully find it thus
far.    People are looking for something that appears like a key and
with a radio knob on the end, it certainly does not.     It has been a
real hit once I pull it out.  People's jaws drop when they see where the
key came from.

Another idea is to put a 1/8" Allen head set screw into the latch
mechanism of the rear deck lid.   It works so that you can just use an
Allen head wrench and thread the allen set screw so that it locks the
latch mechanism from being actuated.    I think I JB Welded a nut into
that latch mechanism and drilled one hole.   It works like a champ.

As for thwarting someone trying to hot wire the car, a short across the
points pretty well solves that.   You can wire a self-latching relay so
that once you press a hidden switch, then the relay latches in the ON
state and removes a wired short across the points.   Then the car can be
started.   Wire it so that once the 12 volts is dropped, and the 12
volts to the relay drops, then the relay lets go and shorts the points.
   Until the hidden switch is pressed with the ignition switch in the ON
position, when that latching relay is then energized and you can again
restart the car.    Just remember that if you stall out, you need to hit
the hidden switch to restart the car.   You could wire a 555 timer and
make it so that you can immediately restart until the 555 timer stops,
maybe a minute or so later.    This can be fine tuned by using a
security magnetic switch as the hidden switch and then you need a magnet
and the precise location to place it in order to start the car.

In the Tech Guide, it tells how you can get into any Corvair with
nothing more than a paper clip!    If you secure the vent window
latching lock with some binding material to make it much stiffer to
move, then it is more difficult to get in using just a paper clip.

It was mentioned that if you have a selection of various mid-60s GM
keys, then you can fiddle with the ignition switch and generally get the
tumbler to come out.    If that does not work, then examine the lock
tumbler you       have.    You can see that if you drill into the lock
cylinder at the 9 O'clock position, then the locking parts can be
disabled.   It only takes a couple of minutes and then use a screw
driver to twist the lock cylinder and get it removed.   Be careful to
not drill too deep into the ignition switch itself.

Larry Forman