<VV> more idle chitchat (pun intended!)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:59:46 EDT 2011

Alright, I'm not sure what to do now.

First, the symptom was that the car would simply not idle with this pair of
carbs... the only thing I could do was adjust the idle stop screws till it
was running on the main circuit. The carbs are the late model type with the
idle vent system.

Now I'm going to list what I have already checked and in what order so
somebody might be able to tell me what I missed:

1) Ran a wire down into the hole 1/4 inch from the cluster hold down screw
as described in the tech guide.  Felt no resistance.

2) Removed the idle adjust screws and looked through (carbs off the car),
they were clear I could see right through

3) poked a wire into the "off idle discharge port" slots, no resistance and
can see the wire looking through as in #2

4) blew air into where the idle screw goes and checked that it was coming
out the hole at the top of the carb, so the passage with the 45 degree turn
theoretically is not plugged... this means that the problem is not behind
the plugs correct?

As far as I know this means I've checked everything, maybe I cleared it
without realizing it?  What could I have missed?

One last note, I found that the slots to the carb throat from the "idle vent
valve system" chamber were plugged, could this have caused the problem?  I
don't understand why it would, but then I don't understand why those slots
are there.  The "valves" on this system are fine, the slots (similar to the
off idle slot) were both clogged, I cleared them easily with my wire.

Thanks,

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA