<VV> To Hel'en Back

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Sun May 1 20:11:18 EDT 2011

Just completed a 759 mile round trip from Lexington to Helen, GA for the
annual Springfest.  Each of the long legs of the trip was un-eventful, but
as always, the little car never misses an opportunity to embarrass me.  Now
I fully understand the concept of a Love-Hate relationship.  I love that
little car, but it must hate me.  I think it lies awake at night plotting
its next little adventure.  I told my wife that when I die, she should just
put me in the car, take it to the crusher and call it a draw.

Springfest as usual was fantastic.  The folks there go out of their way to
put on a great show.  We enjoyed picture perfect weather with sunny skies
and temps in the mid 70's.  A small autocross track was added this year that
added to the fun.   My big adventure included tracking down a charging
problem after one of the bearings in the alternator crapped out on me and
then nearly frying the engine on the afternoon fun run.  A long sustained
hill coupled with the timing being advanced about 6 degrees too much led to
one VERY HOT 140 HP, and I don't mean that in a good way.  I think we must
have bumped the distributor enough to move it in all the attempts to get at
the alternator problem.  I was in the running for the Hard Luck award until
we discovered that James and Lillian broke both of their cars on the way up
from Atlanta.  Scott Trunkhill will be posting pictures soon, if not
already.

I just want to give a public thanks to Richard and Ronnie Jenkins, Travis
Lovell (I think), Chris Wiley, my newest best friend, Richard P from
Tennesse and a host of others that jumped in and helped  with my problem.
Always a great bunch of people to be around.  I wouldn't trade this group or
car nuts for any other in the world.  Thanks to everyone of you for making
this a great place to hang out and for helping me get back to Lexington.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
66 Monza, 140 4/speed, (Formerly known affectionately as "Chicken Little"
now dubbed "El Diablo") :-)