<VV> YH Carb

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue May 3 16:24:19 EDT 2011

Smitty says;  I have met my match.  I have been able to make YH carbs work for me for near 40 years  Got one that is p***ing me off.  It is doing the standard YH thing of dribbling into the air horn.  Most people don't know theirs does that but I have hoses running to a catch can from the provided fittings from the carbs on Spike.  So I know which one is dribbling.  It is the secondary carb of the two, which has been modified by eliminating all fuel circuits but the one from the metering rod.  Don't make too much of that if you are going to help me figure it out because it didn't always dribble.  It started doing that and over time got worse.  There is no accel pump, but a shaped piece of aluminum flashing with neoprene gasket on both sides clamped in the place of it.  That (the accel pump) is usually the first place I look when one gets sloppy.  The blank off is in good condition.
I have changed four needle and seat sets.  I have checked the casting under the seat for cracks and smoothness where the seat gasket sits.  I have checked the float for fuel inside.  I have checked the float drop and reset the float level clear down to 3/4 inch.  Also reshaped the float hinge assy to insure the float is horrizontal at the float level position.
When the engine is running fuel starts appearing around the large tube going to the concentric venturi.  It incresase until it is literally pouring out the drain hose.  After the engine is off it continues to pour for 10-15 seconds and then tapers off.  Just exactly as though the float needle were leaking.
So OK Grant (or whoever), HELP.  My back hurts and I am getting tired of taking it apart.