<VV> installing dipstick tube in an assembled car? (and some more carb stuff)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:46:33 EDT 2011

Hey there folks,

     I'm getting the 65' Corsa 140 up and running this week and assuming I
get my carb and fuel pump issues ironed out I've got one other known
problem.  The dipstick tube is cut about 2 inches short of where it should
be.  I'm hoping to replace it with the one from my (very rusty) parts engine
but I'm hoping I can do it without taking a whole lot of stuff apart.

     Any advice?

PS- I ordered a new fuel pump and should get it tomorrow.. hopefully that
will solve that but I'm suspicious because I know this pump was working just
a week ago when I took it off a car I'd been driving and replaced it with
the brand new one!  Tried about everything and it just don't work.  As far
as the carbs, well the plan is to see if they work now that I've tinkered
with them (the wire probes and high pressure air etc.).

I'm kinda worried about the carb situation but not sure what the deal is...
when trying to diagnose the "pump not drawing fuel" problem I poured gas
down a clear hose into the fuel pump to "prime" it.  I kept pouring it into
the pump inlet and next thing I knew the passenger side secondary had a
pretty good puddle of gasoline on top of the throttle butterfly... I mean at
least 1/4 inch deep, not just wet., and the drivers side primary leaked fuel
out onto the sheet metal below.. not sure where it came out of the carb.  As
soon as I stopped pouring the leakage stopped and the puddle didn't get any
bigger.  I tapped on each carb to "unstick" any stuck floats and then I
checked to make certain there wasn't any fuel dripping down near the exhaust
and cranked the engine.  It started up and idled (on the high idle stops) ok
until the float bowls ran out of fuel.

Thanks for any advice.
--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez