<VV> Dribbling YH

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu May 5 17:17:34 EDT 2011

Smitty Says;  On of my many peves is people who get help on VV and than provide no feedback.  In spite of what my wife says I am a nice guy so , here goes.  The secondary carb on my progressive YH carb turbo was pouring fuel out the airhorn drain .  I already wrote about the float checks and needle valve changes and other wickets I had jumped through trying to get it to stop.  No such luck.One member wrote asking about the fuel return line.  That was a real project but I established that was open to flow.  This morning I put an old neoprene needle in the seat and straped it closed with a small piece of wire.  Manually filled the float bowl, and ran the engine.  The engine was then functioning on the fuel in the bowl but the wetness stopped in the air horn.  That meant to me that the float valve was at fault, even though I had tried several of them including a new one.  Now what to do?  The float settings were optimum for insuring a closed valve with over 3/4 float level setting.  I could have run that down farther but I wanted to keep as high a fuel level as practical for the long straights at full power.
I didn't design the float or valve or even the fuel pump which was putting out 2 1/2 psi.  I didn't even design the carb but I can tell when somebody didn't have their crap in a sack.  So I made a tiny helper spring similar to the one on 64 carbs.  Took a little messing around with different wire sizes but I got it so the float would just barely go to full drop.  Now I've got some assist to hold the valve closed.  Works like a charm so far.  We'll see if I run out of gas when the chips are down on the track.