<VV> 102 PG idle adjust

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Tue May 10 20:42:26 EDT 2011

Greetings all,

     This past week I finally got a couple things done on the 63' Monza
coupe.  I had a bad accelerator pump which I fixed, and also a miss at idle
which turned out to be a tired coil.  After fixing these items I checked the
timing and found that it was a bit more advanced than it should have been...
around 18 degrees.

     I set the timing to about 14 degrees (spec is 13) and adjusted the
idle.  I got the idle in drive down to about 650 and the car ran and drove
great with just the slightest hesitation off idle if you floored it.  The
following morning (this morning) the car was temperamental and stalled
several times when leaving a stop sign.

     I did some tinkering with the idle but just couldn't get a reasonable
idle speed in neutral and reliable acceleration from a stop in drive at the
same time.  When I got home I pulled out the timing light and discovered the
timing was advanced again...  after a moments tinkering I discovered that if
I set the idle nice and low the timing was 14 degrees, but as soon as I
brought it up a little the mechanical advance kicked in a bit and brought it
up to about 18 degrees.  This compounds the idle speed increase.... and
makes slight adjustments nearly impossible.

     I'm guessing that this shouldn't be a problem but looking at my late
model advance charts I see that it looks like it does list about 4 degrees
of timing advance between 500 and 1000 rpm.. the range I'm dealing with.
I'm not really sure how to read these graphs, there are three parallel lines
on each and no key to tell me what each means specifically... maybe
production variance?

     At any rate I figured I'd check with you guys before I went and bought
replacement advance springs for it.  Any advice on getting a good idle with
a 102 PG is welcome!  I'm trying to get it to idle and take off from a light
nicely without idling really high.

Thanks

--
Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez