<VV> alternator

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri May 13 11:44:04 EDT 2011

Not only is a voltmeter much safer, but it also shows just HOW MUCH the
alternator is charging.  This is especially important if you're using the
stock regulator with points (instead of solid state).  You want the voltage  to
be high enough to fully charge the battery, but not so high that it
overcharges it.  13.5 to 14.5 is about the right range EXCEPT when just  started
in cold weather it could be a little higher, but it should come back  down as
the engine compartment warms up.  Adapt a plug to connect the  digital
voltmeter to the cigarette lighter socket and drive the car to see where  the
charging voltage goes.

Frank "the other one" Burkhard

In a message dated 5/13/2011 11:35:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,