<VV> alternator

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 12:08:55 EDT 2011

Old answer. Alternators have no permanent magnets. They get the power from the
battery to activate the electro magnets to allow the alternator to generate
current.

 If  you disconnect the battery, where does the alternator get the power to
allow it to generate the 12V?

When I was in the USAF (about 40 decades ago) our 1961 Ford "Follow Me" trucks
were specially equipt with alternators. If someone forgot to turn the lights off
and killed the battery, push starting did not work as the alternators would not
creare any voltage.. Motor Pool had to jump start them.

MIKE KOVACS