<VV> alternator

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri May 13 13:43:06 EDT 2011

And neither do generators! Generators also use electromagnets to
operate, hence the field coils. The iron in generators does have a
little residual magnetism, hence the need to "polarize" the generator.
This polarization gives it the "jump start" of magnetism to start
charging (and to charge in the correct polarity).

But, If the alternator is working, then when the battery is
disconnected, the alternator keeps right on working! It supplies its own
power at that point.

I think the residual magnetism in an alternator will also allow it to
self start. Something I should try. But it will wait till after the
Virginia Vair Fair.

BTW, most push starting on cars relies on a weak battery, not no battery.

Frank

Hmm, tech session at the vair fair?